Todd is an energy and environmental lawyer who understands the complex and overlapping federal and state laws and regulations that apply to the energy industry. He has 25 years experience in the areas of government, private and corporate practice and nearly two decades of experience representing energy companies from an in house perspective helping them to maintain their license to operate, to grow and develop their business and to defend against agency enforcement actions.
In his role as Vice President, General Counsel, Head of Corporate Affairs and Corporate Secretary of an independent oil and gas exploration and production company, Todd provided legal services in the areas of corporate governance, strategic asset acquisition and divestment planning, joint venture management, mineral right acquisition and royalty transactions, supply chain negotiations and contract management, internal compliance and ethics investigations, labor and employment, finance and SOX compliance, bankruptcy, insurance coverage, environmental and regulatory compliance and litigation.
In this position, he also developed a comprehensive compliance/auditing program to encompass all U.S. operations and provide policy guidance and training on antitrust, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, director and officer liability, harassment, discrimination and other ethics-related matters. Todd was responsible for reducing the company’s legal liability exposure and actively managing critical joint venture relationships with domestic and international commercial partners, including the negotiation and drafting of enterprise agreements, operating committee governance, development of annual strategic plans and budgets and addressing associated legal risks.
Other Representative Experience
- Managed environmental litigation and claims portfolio including federal and state superfund programs, private party claims, water rights adjudication, regulatory enforcement actions and natural resource damage litigation arising from operating and legacy refineries, former industrial mining sites, waste disposal sites, oil and gas exploration properties, bulk terminals and retail gasoline service stations
- Served as commercial/transactional attorney for refinery’s business division of $2B+ assets that included sites located in Los Angeles, California, included crude oil refinery, marine terminals, chemical and gas processing works, and pipelines and terminals including the acquisition and divestment of ancillary business product lines such as polypropylene, aviation fuel and industrial coke operations
- Managed real estate practice group consisting of 15 lawyers, paralegals and administrative staff in California and Illinois, providing oversight of acquisition and divestment portfolio of 300+ franchise retail gasoline station and convenience store properties
- Responsible for complex litigation and claims portfolio including class action and toxic tort litigation, complex commercial and antitrust claims, employee wage and hour disputes, common contract and tort actions, and related alternative dispute resolution matters
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional – Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, May 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Emergency Response and Crisis Management: Legal & Practical Issues for In-House Counsel,” Cohen & Grigsby CLE Day, April 2018