Thomas H. SoehlAssociate
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., The University of Michigan Law School, 2011
- M.A., Liberal Arts, St. John's College Graduate Institute, 2008
- M.Ed., Montessori, Education, Loyola College, 2003
- B.A., Philosophy and German, English Language and Literature, Grand Valley State University, 2001
Tom focuses his practice on commercial litigation, non-compete and trade secret litigation, intellectual property and insurance coverage. He has represented international, national and local clients in federal and state trial and appellate courts, AAA arbitrations as well as in state arbitration and magistrate hearings.
- Successfully negotiated settlement for plaintiff at over 120% of claim in international insurance dispute
- Prevailed in Fifth Circuit appeal overruling trial court’s quashing in part of client’s third party subpoena in intellectual property dispute
- Awarded summary judgment in defendant/cross-claimant plaintiff pharmaceutical services company’s breach of contract claim to enforce exclusivity provisions of the parties’ contract
- Awarded summary judgment on behalf of defendant industrial repair company in federal action to recover over $10 million on alleged breach of contract
- Assisted defense of former employee in federal suit on claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, and unfair competition and counterclaims for tortious interference with existing and prospective contractual relations, defamation and bad faith, including computer forensic e-discovery that ultimately led to settlement
- Assisted child advocacy law nonprofit group with amicus curie brief to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court which unanimously reversed and remanded trial court in client’s favor
- Awarded preliminary objections contesting jurisdiction and venue in breach of contract and tortious interference suit
Tom received his law degree from the University of Michigan in 2011 where he served as Article Editor or the Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review as well as Contributing Editor of the University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform.
- Poland – Jageillonian University – 1999, 2001-2002
- Germany – Goethe Institute, 2000
- Japan – International Christian University, 1998-1999
- China – East China University of Science and Technology, 1997
Tom is proficient in Polish.
- Panelist, “Effectively Managing eDiscovery Issues in the Wake of FRCP Amendments: Lawyer-IT Specialist Communication Is Key,” presented by The Knowledge Group, July 27, 2016
- Presenter, C&G Academy, “The 2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: New and Improved?,” March 2016
- Co-Presenter, C&G Academy, “Practice Points for Handling ESI – Preservation, Legal Holds and Collection,” July 2012
Tom joined Cohen & Grigsby in 2011 and serves on the Firm’s Associate Committee and on the Wellness Committee.
Tom is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the Allegheny County Bar Association.