Steve has more than 25 years of experience representing clients in a wide range of business transactions, with an emphasis on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts and other private equity transactions. He is a Director of the Firm and a member of the Corporate & Tax, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity Practice Groups.
Steve has extensive experience structuring and negotiating leveraged acquisitions, dispositions, recapitalizations and restructurings, growth equity investments, equity co-investments and executive compensation and employment arrangements. His experience includes equity and debt financings, cross-border transactions, joint ventures, corporate governance matters and commercial contracts. He routinely advises private equity firms and their portfolio companies, institutional and individual investors and public and private companies operating in a variety of industries.
Prior to joining Cohen & Grigsby, Steve was a partner at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP and Bingham McCutchen LLP in Boston. Earlier in his career, he was an associate at Jones Day in Chicago and in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Representation of private equity sponsor in its $2 billion acquisition of a NYSE-listed metals processing and distribution company
- Representation of private equity sponsors in their joint acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of foam mattresses with operations in 15 countries, and subsequent dividend recapitalization (Deal of the Year – The Daily Deal)
- Representation of private equity sponsor in its acquisition of the operator of over 300 quick-service restaurants in New England
- Representation of private equity sponsor in its acquisition of the second largest independent distributor of pet supplies in the United States
- Representation of private equity division of a bank holding company in ten acquisitions, eight dispositions and numerous recapitalizations, restructurings and equity investments
- Representation of investment firm in multiple equity investments in an advisor-owned investment management firm; the most recent financing round of $100 million was recognized as the largest venture capital deal of the year in the financial services industry by The Venture Capital Report
- Representation of investment firm in growth equity investment in a consumer credit service provider in China (Asia Venture Capital Deal of the Year – Private Equity International (PEI))
- Representation of individual investor in the acquisition of a 50 percent interest in NFL football team and stadium
- Representation of specialty finance companies in debt restructurings and equity co-investments
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth
- Selected to the 2005 Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars list