- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 11th, and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1989
- A.B., Princeton University, 1986
Rich focuses his practice on insurance coverage litigation and counseling exclusively for policyholders. Decades of experience dealing with insurers helps Rich maximize recovery under a broad range of policies, including property insurance, crime insurance, directors & officers and general liability insurance policies. In addition to insurance, Rich has expertise on corporate governance and has represented directors, officers and owners in shareholder disputes and other matters. Rich also is an experienced appellate lawyer and has worked on landmark decisions both on behalf of parties and as an amicus curiae in federal and state courts.
Vitro Flat Glass, LLC v. Travelers Property Casualty Company of America and ACE American Insurance Company, No. GD-19-5579, Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas – represent policyholder under property insurance policies for catastrophic losses in excess of $250 million from a fire at a glass manufacturing plant.
Sunbeam Corp. v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., 781 A.2d 1189 (Pa. 2001) – primary draftsman in landmark Pennsylvania Supreme Court appeal that rejected pro-insurer interpretation of sudden and accidental pollution exclusion.
Kvaerner U.S., Inc. v. Blaine Construction Corp., Nos. 03-2929, 03-2966 (3d Cir.) – lead appellate counsel in $30 million insurance claim for construction project.
Parker Hannifin Corp. v. Federal Ins. Co. and Nat’l Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA – represented policyholder under general liability and crime policies in claim arising from alleged price-fixing cartel resulting in over $30 million in losses.
The Forest Group, Inc. v. Bon Tool Co., 590 F.3d 1295 (Fed. Cir. 2009) – lead counsel in landmark intellectual property case that established new standard for imposing fines under the Patent Act.
Represent policyholder under a representations and warranties policy on a claim involving alleged violation of patent for automobile windshields.
Represent policyholder in a property damage claim arising from an underground fire at a windshield manufacturing plant.
Represented policyholder under general liability policy on claim resulting from allegedly defective wood products used in recreational cabins.
- Author, “Additional Insureds – Who Are They and How Do They Get Coverage?” Cohen & Grigsby Commercial and Complex Litigation Newsletter, Issue 1, 2018
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania’s New Limit on Asbestos Liability for Successor Corporations,” Environmental Claims Journal, Vol. 14, No. 3, Summer 2002
- Co-Author, “Appealable Orders Under the Pennsylvania Rules of Appellate Procedure,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute No. 1994-869
- Co-Author, “Admissibility of Novel Scientific Theories to Prove Causation in Toxic Tort Litigation,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute No. 1992-752
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Trustee, Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania
- Tenor, Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh