- U.S. District Court for Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D. with high distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 1999
- B.A., with honors (Phi Beta Kappa), Political Science/History, University of Iowa, 1996
Morgan is a Director and Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Client Service Sector. A graduate of the University of Iowa, Morgan has experience in corporate governance litigation, including minority shareholder oppression claims, share appraisal actions, and partnership dissolutions. He is also experienced in banking and lender liability litigation, procurement litigation, antitrust litigation and insurance coverage litigation.
Currently serving as solicitor to the Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County (SEA), Morgan oversees the legal functions of properties owned and leased by The Authority including PNC Park, Heinz Field, PPG Paints Arena, David L. Lawrence Convention Center, two parking facilities and riverfront parks.
Most recently, Morgan co-wrote an article with his fellow partner, Fred Shrayber, for the February 2019 issue of Widener Law Review, entitled Anti-Reliance Clauses and Other Contractual Fraud Limitations Under Delaware Law.
Morgan has successfully litigated numerous cases in both state and federal courts across the country, including Delaware Chancery Court. Morgan’s experience ranges from preliminary injunction hearings to jury trials. In his career, Morgan has represented individual shareholders and companies in numerous corporate governance disputes, and a variety of companies ranging from Fortune 500 companies to small family businesses in all types of civil litigation. Morgan has recently acted as counsel in a high profile litigation involving a dispute over the procurement of the multimedia rights of a university in West Virginia.
Select Representative Cases
- Represented buyer-private equity fund in claims against seller-private equity fund relating to the seller’s alleged fraud and breach of representations and warranties in a purchase agreement. Prairie Capital III, L.P. v. Double E. Holdings Corp., 132 A.3d 35, Court of Chancery of Delaware.
- Represented radio corporation in a litigation regarding the alleged fraudulent procurement of media rights and other state contracts at West Virginia’s flagship university. West Virginia Radio Corporation v. West Virginia University Board of Governors, et al., 13-C-468, Court of Common Pleas of Monongalia County, West Virginia, Business Court Division.
- Represented real estate developer in lender liability and guarantor defense claim against one of America’s largest banks relating to the Bank’s alleged failure to honor its loan commitment to developer. Key Bank Nat. Ass’n v. Voyager Group, L.P., 2010 WL 5439729, 10-0453, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented business opportunity finder in dispute regarding the failure to pay a fee owed for the leasing of mineral rights for thousands of acres in eastern Ohio. Wellington Resource Group, LLC v. Beck Energy Corp., 975 F. Supp. 2d 835, U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Ohio.
- Represented and secured summary judgment for Estate in a dispute over the enforcement of a partnership agreement. Geraldine Caruso v. the Estate of Peter J. Caruso, GD-15-017564, Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County, Orphans Court Division.
- Represented minority shareholder in minority shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty claims against family business, other family members, and family trust. Jay Zytnick v. Zytnick Realty, Inc., et al., GD-06-022105, Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County, Commerce Division.
- Represented buyer in dispute regarding Seller’s alleged fraud and breach of the representations and warranties in purchase agreement. Precision Analytical, Inc. v. CWM Environmental Cleveland, Inc., 1:16-cv-01561, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division.
Morgan was selected as a member of Leadership Pittsburgh, Class XVI, an organization that identifies and assists individuals with strong leadership capabilities that positively affect their community.
He also taught Legal Writing and Analysis at Duquesne’s Leadership Institute.
Morgan sits on the Board of the University of Iowa’s Alumni Club, Pittsburgh Chapter.
He has presented at seminars on lender liability, minority shareholder oppression litigation, shareholder appraisal actions, discovery, and legal writing.
- Solicitor, Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County (SEA)
- Member, Governor Tom Wolf Transition Committee, Department of State
- Member, Allegheny County Chief Executive Rich Fitzgerald’s Energy and Environment Transition Team
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association