Michael J. DoughertyDirector
Michael is a Director and a member of the Corporate & Tax, Commercial Lending, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity & Mezzanine Finance practice areas. In addition to providing general business counseling and advice, he focuses his practice on business and commercial transactions, such as business formation and capitalization, financing (representing institutional lenders, mezzanine lenders and corporate borrowers), joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Michael has represented individual and corporate clients in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, chemicals, supermarkets and convenience stores, energy, telecommunications, financial services, metal products and healthcare.
Michael serves as Co-Chair of the Corporate & Tax Group and a member of the Firm’s Talent Management Team. He formerly served as Associate Development Director.
Prior to joining Cohen & Grigsby in 2000, Michael was a summer associate at the Firm in 1999. He also was a summer associate and corporate legal assistant at Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue from 1993-1998.
During his time with Cohen & Grigsby, he has represented businesses of all sizes, including small family-owned businesses, middle-market privately held companies, publicly traded entities, private equity sponsors and large subsidiaries of national and multinational public and private companies.
His core practice focuses on counseling clients regarding corporate, partnership and limited-liability company formation, reorganization, governance and operation; contract preparation and negotiation; due diligence; joint ventures and strategic alliances; co-development and co-promotion arrangements; mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; commercial lending; and other general corporate matters.
Select Recent Representative Matters
- U.S. counsel for a large, international company during the negotiation and documentation of a staged disposition of one of its global chemical divisions
- Large chemical and polymer producer and supplier in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a joint venture for the manufacture, marketing and sale of polyurethane systems.
- Large healthcare company in the acquisition through merger of a start-up medical device company on the West Coast
- Forbes Top 25 privately held corporation in a joint venture for the acquisition and operation of convenience stores with fuel stations;
- Mezzanine lenders in numerous subordinated debt and equity investment transactions, including the purchase of $19 million of subordinated debt and equity securities of a leading plastics compounding company
- Negotiation and documentation of joint ventures for the development of greenhouse gas abatement projects, including the potential to monetize greenhouse gas reductions through the generation and sale of emission reduction credits
- U.S. subsidiary of a global chemical company in connection with several product line dispositions
- Negotiation and documentation of a $900 million secured bank facility on behalf of a public company
- Presenter, “Mezzanine Finance in Mid-Market Deals,” C&G Academy CLE Presentation, February 2016
- Presenter, “Intercreditor and Subordination Agreements in Mezzanine Financing,” C&G Academy CLE Presentation, April 2012
- Presenter, “Giving Diligence Its Due,” C&G Academy CLE Presentation, March 2010
- Presenter, “Being Secure in Secured Transactions,” C&G Academy CLE Presentation, June 2009
- Presenter, “Securing the Intangible Stuff,” WPASGL Conference, March 2003
Michael was selected to the 2008 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. The selection process includes peer nominations and independent research on candidates.