Mark A. MayDirector
Mark is a litigator with 20 years of experience. He focuses his practice on insurance recovery and the needs of policyholders. He also actively represents clients in complex, commercial litigation matters. Mark has extensive experience in using mediation, appraisal, arbitration and litigation to obtain monetary and non-monetary recoveries, settlements, awards, and verdicts for his clients.
Mark has been a Director of the Firm since 2005 and serves as the chair of the Firm’s Insurance Recovery Group.
Areas of Concentration:
- Insurance Recovery
- Commercial Litigation
- Electronic Discovery
Mark has counseled and litigated on behalf of his clients to maximize insurance recoveries under, among others, property, errors and omissions, product recall, commercial general liability, business interruption, and equipment breakdown coverages. He has represented his clients’ insurance interests in numerous industries, including in the manufacturing, mining, glass, steel, publishing, and food industries.
In the context of complex, commercial litigation, Mark has litigated on behalf of and defended his clients against claims of breach of contract, tortious interference, fraud, unjust enrichment, estoppel, and misappropriation of trade secrets as well as many other causes of action.
Mark’s most recent experiences:
- Defended a policyholder against claims of insurance fraud resulting in a significant recovery on the proverbial “Court House” steps in the policyholder’s favor after 10 years of litigation
- Obtained a $3.5 million dollar verdict in Washington County against The Washington Hospital
- Obtained a significant recovery on behalf a manufacturer in the food industry against its warehousing company and the warehousing companies’ insurer
- Obtained large appraisal award in a business income loss dispute resulting from equipment breakdown in the steel industry
- Guided client to a significant insurance recovery in a years-long insurance dispute against recalcitrant insurer without resorting to litigation
- Convinced insurance company to reverse course after denying a defense to its policyholder in a multi-year lawsuit resulting in the recoupment of over a million dollars in legal expenses
- Obtained significant recovery in a products recall dispute between a global manufacturer and its U.S. and international insurers
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Former Member, Allegheny County Bar Association’s Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee
Honors and Achievements
- Order of the Coif, The University of Pennsylvania Law School
Mark’s most recent presentations include:
- Presenter, C&G Academy, “How to Effectively Present Insurance Claims (and Avoid Common Pitfalls),” April 2018
- Presenter, “Insurance Bad Faith: When, What and How,” Webinar Sponsored by FC&S National Underwriters, October 2017
- “Understanding E-Discovery”
- “E-Discovery: Prevention is Better Than the Cure”
Mark’s most recent bulletins include:
- “Hurricane Irma Insurance News – Part 2 – FAQs for Restoring Order After the Wind and Rain Have Gone,” Fall 2017
- “Hurricane Irma Insurance News – Part 1 – Frequently Asked Questions,” Fall 2017
- “Immediate Considerations for Handling an Insurable Loss,” Fall 2017