Lisa L. GarrettDirector
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., with honors, University of North Carolina School of Law, 1994
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 1991
Lisa is a Director in the Firm’s Labor and Employment Law and Employment Litigation Groups. She is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and Florida and serves clients out of the Firm’s Pittsburgh and Naples offices. Lisa joined the Firm in 1994 as a first year associate when she returned to Pittsburgh after graduating from law school.
Over the past twenty years, Lisa has represented clients in numerous industries and the scope of her representation includes day-to-day legal counseling, employment litigation defense, affirmative action compliance, drafting and reviewing policies, handbooks and agreements, directing internal investigations, conducting management training and advising on the employment aspects of business transactions.
Lisa’s experience covers a broad range of employment matters. She regularly helps clients develop and implement legally compliant policies on social media use, electronic communications, FMLA leave, drug and alcohol testing and anti-discrimination and harassment, and works with clients to help them achieve effective and lawful employee handbooks. In addition, she often directs internal workplace investigations relating to harassment and other alleged forms of employee misconduct.
Lisa also routinely advises clients on hiring, performance and conduct issues, FMLA compliance, ADA accommodations and compliance, effectuating layoffs and reductions in force, wage and hour compliance, affirmative action requirements, conducting background checks and FCRA compliance, drug and alcohol testing and unemployment compensation claims.
In addition, she helps clients minimize their legal risk through conducting management training on various employment topics including, but not limited to, diversity in the workplace, anti-harassment, workplace investigations, FMLA and ADA compliance and best practices for hiring, discipline, discharge and conducting performance evaluations.
During her career, Lisa has defended numerous claims before federal, state and local administrative agencies such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, the City of Pittsburgh Commission, the Florida Commission on Human Relations, the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, the U.S. Department of Labor and OSHA. She also defends clients in employment litigation brought in federal courts in Pennsylvania and Florida and defends compliance audits conducted by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance.
Lisa also provides transactional services such as drafting employment, retention, severance, restrictive covenant and independent contractor agreements, and works with the firm’s M&A group providing advice on employment aspects of business transactions.
More specifically, the scope of her experience includes:
- Providing advice to security industry client concerning accommodating an employee with a scent-sensitivity and severe allergies under the ADA
- Representing a tube supplier client in a U.S. Department of Labor FMLA investigation which morphed into an FLSA investigation
- Developing strategies for manufacturing client to better manage intermittent FMLA leave requests
- Representing a real estate client in defense of a Third Party Complaint filed by a state government lessee that was a Third Party Plaintiff/Defendant in a class action public accommodations case under Titles II and III of the ADA
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissal in federal court of all claims for financial institution client where plaintiff had alleged age discrimination under the ADEA and the PHRA, religious discrimination under Title VII and the PHRA, and defamation in connection with his separation from employment
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissal in federal court of all claims for communications industry client where plaintiff had alleged discriminatory discharge, hostile work environment and retaliation under the ADA
- Updating affirmative action plans to comply with regulatory changes under Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act
- Analyzing whether subsidiary plastics supplier client was a single entity with a parent company for purposes of being a covered federal contractor under Executive Order 11246, Section 503 and VEVRAA
- Pennsylvania Bar Association and its Labor and Employment Law Section
- Allegheny County Bar Association and its Labor and Employment Law Section
- Allegheny County Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Council
- Florida Bar Association and its Labor and Employment Law Section
- Collier County Bar Association
- Society for Human Resources Management
- Pittsburgh Human Resources Association
- American College of Healthcare Administrators
- Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce Labor & Employment Law Work Group
- Lisa co-presented “101 on 501s – A Review of Legal Issues Faced by Tax-Exempt Nonprofit Corporations,” at Duquesne University School of Law, on October 21, 2017
- Lisa co-presented “Government Contracting — What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You” on April 29, 2015
- Lisa led a discussion group on workplace investigations for the Allegheny County Bar Association’s Labor & Employment Section on March 18, 2015
- She co-presented “Social Media and Technology at Work” on June 16, 2014 as part of the Labor & Employment Group’s ongoing seminar series
- Lisa was a presenter for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s FMLA Update on August 29, 2013 where she covered the top 10 FMLA cases of that past year
- She presented “Social Media: Legal Liabilities” for Robert Morris University’s Bayer Center for Non-Profit Excellence on September 25, 2013
- She also presented “Affirmative Action Developments” on May 14, 2012 as part of the Labor & Employment Group’s annual seminar that year
- Lisa presented “Public and Media Correspondence: Social media and You” and “Commissioner Involvement in Employee Issues” at the Southwest Regional Conference for the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials in November 2011