Lawrence M. LebowitzDirector
Larry is a Director of the Firm and a member of the International Business Group. He serves as the Firm’s Director of Partner Development and was previously Cohen & Grigsby’s Vice President of Marketing from 2000 to 2007.
As Chair of the Immigration Group at Cohen & Grigsby, Larry represents public and private employers in securing temporary and permanent visas for foreign national employees. He also helps individual clients pursue family-based permanent residence, as well as U.S. citizenship.
Larry has also helped to establish and continues to oversee the outbound/global immigration practice, which secures work-authorized visas for people in countries throughout the world.
For more than a decade, he has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Immigration Law. He was also selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list and Who’s Who in Law Education.
- Mt. Lebanon High School Great Alumni Award, 2015
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Immigration Law
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list – 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018
Larry has presented on several seminar topics, including:
- “Starting a Business with an F-1 Visa,” Presented by Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship, Carnegie Mellon University
- “Post-September 2011 Immigration Law Changes” at the Immigration/National Security Conference in Virginia
- “SEVIS Roundtable: Basics and Beyond” for the Pennsylvania Council for International Education
- “Strategies for Pursuing Permanent Residence for Foreign National Physicians and Nurses” at the American Health Lawyers Association Teleconference
- “Staying on Top of Ever-Changing Immigration Laws,” Pittsburgh Technology Council
- “The Placement and Retention of Foreign Physicians Within U.S. Medical Facilities,” American Health Lawyers Association Teleconference
- “Recruiting and Employing Foreign Nationals: It is Not as Difficult as You May Think in Filling Your Health Care Professional Vacancies,” American Health Lawyers Association Teleconference
Larry has written articles related to immigration law for numerous publications, including “Immigration Update: What Has/Has Not Changed for Canadians Since 9/11” for the Florida Journal; “Immigration Strategies for Hiring Staff” for Nursing Home Magazine; “Hiring Foreign Nurses” for Assisted Living Success; “Outward Bound- An American in Paris or Munich or Tokyo” for the Mid-Atlantic Executive Legal Adviser; and “Lobbying for H-1B Visas” for the Cohen & Grigsby Review.
Larry has also co-authored articles that have been published in the University of Pittsburgh Law Review, the Cohen & Grigsby Review and the Allegheny County Medical Society Bulletin.
Larry is an adjunct professor of immigration law at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law (since 1997) and previously the Duquesne University Law School.
His professional and community involvement includes serving as the immediate past president and (since 2009) member of the Mt. Lebanon School Board. He also completed a four year term on the Mt. Lebanon Civil Service Commission and participated as a coach on various youth baseball and soccer teams. He is also a member of the de Tocqueville Society of the United Way, the Pittsburgh Regional Immigration Assistance Center and on the board of directors of The BairFind Foundation.
Larry is also a former member of Leadership Pittsburgh XX and the board of directors of both the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and Temple Emanuel of the South Hills, as well as a former mentor for the Career Literacy for African American Youth Program.
Larry has been quoted in several publications, including the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.