Larry K. ElliottDirector
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 10th, and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary, 1981
- M.A., English, University of Virginia, 1977
- B.A., with distinction, English, University of Virginia, 1974
Larry has been handling complex commercial litigation for over 30 years. His practice includes shareholder derivative and class action cases, securities fraud cases and antitrust cases. He often represents accounting firms in malpractice and securities fraud cases, and he has represented corporate directors and officers in a variety of cases. He is a Director of the Firm and member of the Securities Litigation and Antitrust Litigation Groups.
Larry has handled 25+ jury trials in multiple states (including Pennsylvania, Maryland, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Massachusetts, Kansas, Ohio and Nevada). Larry’s career has been filled with many noteworthy cases, representing clients in numerous industries for more than two decades. His experience also includes alternative dispute resolution, helping businesses navigate complicated disputes through a number of ADR methods. He is on the panel for ADR neutrals for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
After a six-week trial, he obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an accounting firm accused of fraud and malpractice. He has also obtained a large award of damages in a fraud/business evaluation case and tried numerous broker/dealer actions.
Larry won a large award of damages in an International Chamber of Commerce arbitration held in France. He also obtained a defense jury verdict in a multi-party price fixing action.
Obtained the dismissal of an accounting firm in a series of class-action securities fraud cases in Michigan; and defeated a class certification and obtained a defense verdict involving ERISA litigation.
Recently he obtained a defense verdict in a multimillion dollar environmental/fraud case after a three week jury trial. In 2012 he obtained a defense verdict for an accounting firm in a case in which the plaintiffs sought to recover in excess of $80 million. The trial lasted four weeks.
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Securities
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list
- During his career, Larry has been a frequent lecturer on topics related to his fields of interest
- He teaches CLE courses on arbitration for the Cohen & Grigsby Academy and recently presented a seminar on trial tactics
- Panel member for a CLE course involving the use of accountants as expert witnesses
- Quoted in the New York Times, Youngstown Business Journal and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in stories ranging from “Suing the Accountants: Vitriol and Paperwork,” “Family Feud: Werner v. Werner and Stakes are High” and “Many Rungs Apart: Family Factions Feud over Sale of Werner Ladder Co.”
- Book review; “Sun Tzu Was a Sissy” for Law Firm Inc.