Jack W. ElliottChairman & Director
A corporate attorney with nearly three decades of transactional experience, Jack provided a strong, steady hand as Cohen & Grigsby’s President and CEO for more than 13 years. Jack joined Cohen & Grigsby in 1990 and was named President and CEO in 2003. He served in roles as Chief Financial Officer as well as Executive Vice President prior to his becoming CEO. Jack currently serves as the Firm’s Chairman.
Jack’s experience makes him a highly sought-after strategic business advisor and general counsel. As the former General Counsel for one of the largest privately held companies in the US, he converts this experience to provide sound business advice to clients. His ability to analyze and deliver a comprehensive perspective across a broad spectrum of issues enables him to assist clients in achieving a wide range of strategic business objectives. In practice and by example, Jack takes ownership of client satisfaction, ensuring that attorneys act as business counselors as well as legal advisors, focusing on producing exemplary work product and results.
Jack has represented a broad and diverse number of corporate clients – from private and public entities that include nonprofit and emerging growth companies to celebrities, professional athletes and senior executives and business owners. He has represented these corporate clients in a wide-variety of transactions including private company acquisitions and divestitures through leveraged buy-outs, spinoffs, joint ventures and other strategic alliances.
Areas of Concentration
- Mergers, acquisitions, divestitures
- Structuring and implementing joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Business reorganizations
- Counseling private and family owned business entities
- Capital formation through debt and equity offerings
- Board Member, Robroy Industries, Inc.
- Board of Trustees, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust
- Board of Visitors, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Board Member, Allegheny Plastics, Inc.
- Former board member, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Former chairman of the board, Wesley Spectrum Services
- Recognized by Best Lawyers 2016 Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list for Mergers & Acquisitions Law