- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd and 6th Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2008
- B.A., Business and Philosophy, University of Pittsburgh, 2002
Fred counsels and represents clients in a wide variety of complex commercial litigation disputes and other business matters. As a seasoned member of the firm’s Litigation group, he routinely handles a broad range of disputes, including insurance coverage and insurance law, unfair competition, trade secrets, non-competition covenants, corporate governance and shareholder and partnership disputes. He has appeared in state and federal courts as well as in arbitration proceedings and has engaged in all levels of litigation practice, including preliminary injunction proceedings, discovery, trials and appeals.
Fred counsels and represents businesses in non-litigation matters as well. For instance, Fred is the founder and co-chair of the Firm’s Data Security, Privacy and Information Law practice. In that role, he educates, counsels and represents clients concerning all aspects of electronic discovery, data security, privacy and information law in a proactive manner, all with a view towards helping them manage and minimize the risks associated with their storage, use and retention of data.
Additionally, Fred is a member of the Firm’s International Business Group, which counsels and represents foreign companies and investors on their inbound U.S. transactions and investments, as well as U.S. companies and individuals on their outbound foreign investments and other business activities. He is bilingual in English and Russian and is the chair of the Firm’s Russian Desk.
Fred joined Cohen & Grigsby in 2008. He serves on the Firm’s Recruiting Committee. He is admitted to practice in federal and state courts in Pennsylvania and Ohio, as well as in the U.S. Court of International Trade.
Before embarking on his legal career, Fred worked in numerous business roles.
Selected Representative Matters
- Clarkwestern Dietrich Building Systems, LLC v. Certified Steel Stud Ass’n, Inc., No. 13 CV 2809 (Butler County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio 2015) (represented manufacturer of construction products asserting claims against its competitors and an industry association for unfair trade practices, unfair competition, disparagement and defamation; obtained $49.5 million jury verdict in manufacturer’s favor)
- Prairie Capital III, L.P. v. Double E Holding Corp., 132 A.3d 35 (Del. Ch. Ct. 2015) (private equity fund asserting fraud- and contract- based claims against sellers of a business; obtained denial, in relevant part, of defendants’ motion to dismiss fraud- and contract-based claims)
- Elliott-Lewis Corp. v. Skanska USA Building, Inc., No. 2:14-cv-03865, 2015 WL 454362 (E.D. Pa. July 28, 2015) (represented manufacturer of pump systems facing construction liability claims in multi-party construction dispute; obtained dismissal in manufacturer’s favor)
- HarbisonWalker International, Inc. v. McKees Rocks Industrial Enters., Inc., No. 15 CV 410 (Trumbull County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio 2015) (represented manufacturer of refractory products asserting claims against vendor for damages caused to manufacturer’s property during transit and storage; obtained settlement during pre-trial proceedings)
- ANH Refractories Co. v. Langenohl, No. GD-13-023561 (Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, Pennsylvania 2014) (represented manufacturer of refractory products asserting claims against senior engineer and competing company for breaches of non-compete covenant and trade secret misappropriation; obtained settlement at commencement of preliminary injunction hearing)
- ABS Alloys & Metals, LLC v. Machent, 13 CVS 2090 (North Carolina Business Court 2013) (represented company engaged in sourcing and processing metals and ores against several of its former executives and competing company, asserting claims for unfair competition, tortious interference with contracts and trade secret misappropriation; obtained settlement during discovery)
- Wellington Resource Group, LLC v. Beck Energy, Inc., 975 F. Supp. 2d 833 (S.D. Ohio 2013) (represented consulting company seeking to recover seven-figure commission in connection with defendant-company’s sale of its business assets for $85 million; obtained denial of defendants’ motion to dismiss consulting company’s claims and obtained settlement during discovery)
- Kisano Trade & Invest Ltd. v. Lemster, 505 F. App’x 147 (3d Cir. 2012) (represented foreign national against RICO and fraud claims; on appeal, obtained reversal of district court’s entry of preliminary injunction and secured dismissal of action on forum non conveniens grounds)
- KeyBank, N.A. v. Voyager Group, L.P., Civ A. No. 10-453, 2012 WL 4048850 (W.D. Pa. Sept. 13, 2012) (represented developer of failed ultra-luxury resort asserting contractual and lender liability claims against bank and claiming damages in excess of $100 million; obtained denial of defendants’ motion for summary judgment on developer’s claims and obtained settlement at commencement of jury trial)
- Parker Hannifin Corp. v. Nat’l Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA, No. 1:12-cv-2470 (N.D. Ohio 2012) (manufacturer of motion control systems asserting claims against various insurers seeking recovery of costs of defense and indemnity arising out of third-party liability claims and asserting right to control defense against future third-party claims)
- Zytnick v. Zytnick Realty, Inc., No. GD-06-022105 (Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, Pennsylvania 2012) (represented one co-owner of business asserting shareholder oppression claims against the other co-owner of the business; obtained dissolution and liquidation of business)
- Sensus USA, Inc. v. Elliott Bay Eng’g, Inc., No. CIV.A. 10-1363, 2011 WL 26500281 (W.D. Pa. July 6, 2011) (represented manufacturer of energy products asserting contract-based claims against consulting company; obtained dismissal of trade secret misappropriation claims against manufacturer and obtained settlement during discovery)
- Seebach America, Inc. v. Seetech, LLC, No 2:09-cv-00510 2011 WL 1327335, at *1 (S.D.W. Va. Apr. 7, 2011) (represented manufacturer of hydraulic filtration systems asserting claims of trademark infringement and unfair competition against former president and a competing company; defeated defendants’ motion for summary judgment and obtained settlement at commencement of jury trial)
- Otto Bock Polyurethane Techs., Inc. v. Prime Industries, Inc., No. GD-09-00349 (Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, Pennsylvania 2009) (represented manufacturer of foam products asserting contract-based claims against purchaser for unpaid invoices; obtained judgment in manufacturer’s favor)
- In re Keil, No. GD-01-016868 (Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, Pennsylvania 2009) (represented company facing “dissenter rights” claim by shareholder challenging company’s valuation; obtained bench ruling in company’s favor)
- Panel Discussion: “Contract/Legal Side of Vendor Management as SaaS Evolves, Consumerization of the Enterprise, BYOI-vs.-BYOD and Formalizing Threat Intelligence,” Greater Pittsburgh CIO Group Meeting, January 26, 2016
- Co-Presenter, “Using Non-Reliance Clauses to Limit Fraud in M&A Transactions,” C&G Academy, June 1, 2016
- Presenter, “E-Discovery – Use of Electronic Files and Data,” Pennsylvania Association of Housing & Redevelopment Agencies (PAHRA) Capitol Conference, February 22, 2016
- Presenter, Panel Discussion: “Contract/Legal Side of Vendor Management as SaaS Evolves, Consumerization of the Enterprise, BYOI-vs.-BYOD and Formalizing Threat Intelligence,” Greater Pittsburgh CIO Group Meeting, January 26, 2016
- Presenter, “Practical Strategies (for Litigators & Non-Litigators) to Reduce the Risks & Costs of Discovery – Before Litigation Ever Begins,” C&G Academy, April 15, 2015