Christie is a Director and member of the Corporate & Tax Group. She serves as co-chair of the Nonprofit and Tax-Exempt Organizations Group. Christie serves as outside general counsel and provides corporate governance and strategic transaction-related counseling for a number of organizations, including both tax-exempt and for profit companies.
With prior experience from a large law firm and as in-house counsel in a small legal department of a public company, Christie often serves as an outside general counsel, combining her legal and business acumen to solving client’s problems.
Christie is involved with many Firm programs and initiatives. She previously chaired the Firm’s Talent Management Team and is a member of Cohen & Grigsby’s Diversity & Inclusion Planning Committee. She previously served as the Firm’s Recruiting and Hiring chair and the director in charge of the Firm’s Associates Committee.
Christie regularly provides guidance to senior management and boards of directors on a number of corporate, transactional and corporate governance related issues. She has counseled public, private and nonprofit clients in a number of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and other reorganizations. She routinely drafts and negotiates various commercial agreements.
Christie regularly helps tax-exempt organizations in structuring strategic transactions, contracts and relationships with other tax-exempt or for profit organizations. She assists tax-exempt organizations in obtaining tax-exempt status and other issues specific to an organization’s tax-exempt status and governance.
Christie’s experience working with institutional lenders and corporate borrowers, coupled with her familiarity of compliance and regulatory matters, gives her a unique advantage in advising clients in all aspects of their transactional strategies and needs.
Prior to joining Cohen & Grigsby, Christie was in-house counsel at Tollgrade Communications, Inc., a telecommunications company then-listed with NASDAQ, from 2006-2008. As an attorney for Tollgrade, Christie prepared SEC filings and counseled the company on various corporate governance and securities-related issues, particularly in the areas of board policies and procedures, executive compensation disclosures and periodic reports.
Christie began her legal career as an associate in the corporate and securities group at Reed Smith in Pittsburgh from 2002-2006. As a member of the firm’s business services practice, she assisted with various mergers, acquisitions and divestitures for public and private companies, including a $1.4 billion merger of two public companies. She counseled clients on a variety of corporate matters, such as formation, dissolution, reorganization, joint ventures and corporate governance issues.
- Member, Penn State Law Board of Advisors
- Appointed in 2017 and currently serving as co-chair of the Allegheny County Bar Association Gender Equality Committee, a strategic advisory committee, which in 2018 launched the Women’s Institute of Leadership in Law (“WILL”). The ACBA was recently recognized in 2019 for this Institute by the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the American Bar Association Partnership Award.
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association Women in Law Division and former Council Member
- Selected as a recipient of the 2019 Pittsburgh Business Times Women of Influence Award, which honors the region’s most influential business women at for-profit companies, nonprofits and government entities
- Selected as one of the 2016 Lawyers on the Fast Track printed by The Legal Intelligencer. Nominations for this award were vetted by a six-member judging panel, composed of evaluators from all corners of the legal profession and the state of Pennsylvania. Ultimately, Christie was one of 35 attorneys selected to the 2016 Lawyers on the Fast Track award.
- Selected to the 2010 and 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for Business/Corporate Law
- Co-Presenter, “Strategic Collaborations” and “Risk Management” to a cohort of non-profits, September and October 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Strategic Transaction Consideration,” Schneider Downs, July 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Risk Management in Contracts,” Cohen & Grigsby Nonprofit Business Series, June 2019
- Co-Presenter, “So You Want to Start a 501(c)(3),” RMU Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management, May 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Tax-Reform and the Impact on Charitable Giving and Non-Profit Organizations,” Allegheny County Bar Association Committee on Exempt Organizations, November 2018 (co-presented with Nicole Phatak of Cohen & Grigsby, P.C.)
- Co-Presenter, “To Merge or Not to Merge – That Really is Not the Question,” Greater Pittsburgh Nonprofit Partnership, September 2018 (co-presented with Gene Herne, Deputy Attorney General, and Kate Dewey and Christopher Farrell of Cohen & Grigsby, P.C.)
- Co-Presenter, “101 on 501s – A Review of Legal Issues Faced by Tax-Exempt Nonprofit Corporations,” Duquesne University School of Law, October 2017
- Panelist, “Equal Pay Day 2016 – a Candid Conversation on Pay Equity and Gender Equality,” presented by the Allegheny County Bar Association, Institute for Gender Equality and Women in the Law Division
- Presenter and Author, “Recent Regulatory Developments in Response to Dodd Frank Corporate Governance and “34 Act Registration Provisions,” 18th Annual Federal Securities Law Forum, presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Presenter and Author, “Crowdfunding: An Update on SEC Rulemaking and Implications,” 17th Annual Federal Securities Law Forum, presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Presenter and Author, “Say on Pay, Proxy Advisors and Practical Implications for Boards and their Counsel,” 16th Annual Federal Securities Law Forum, presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Presenter and Author, “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Changing Trends and Disclosure Considerations,”15th Annual Federal Securities Law Forum, presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Panelist, “Red Flags of Fraud,” presented by National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), Three Rivers Chapter, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Co-Presenter, “Business Market Risks & Opportunities – Perspectives at the Midpoint of 2013,” Business Roundtable, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Co-Author, "Going-Private Transaction Results in $148 Million Fraud Charge for CEO and GC - What to Consider Going Forward"
- Co-Author, "Court of Chancery Affirms Director Primacy in Delaware Corporate Law"
- Co-Author, "SEC Adopts 'Pay Ratio' Disclosure Rule"
- Author, "What You (Still) May Not Know About the UK Bribery Act"
- Author, "Reasons Why Being a Mom Makes Me a Better Lawyer," The Legal Intelligencer