- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 2009
- B.S., magna cum laude, Civil Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1998
Brian focuses his practice on construction and development-related matters including litigation and contract negotiation, representing owners, contractors and sub-contractors. He also has in-depth experience regarding claims for unforeseen site conditions.
Brian practiced as a civil/structural engineer designing buildings and investigating existing structures for more than seven years prior to his career as an attorney. His experience in the field allows him to quickly understand complex construction disputes, and his engineering and science background provides him with unique insight into technical matters arising in a variety of litigation contexts.
Brian has spent his entire career as an attorney addressing a range of construction-related issues through negotiation, mediation, litigation, and arbitration. His experience as a litigator includes all stages of discovery, including taking and defending depositions, as well as drafting and presenting dispositive motions, briefing at trial, direct and cross-examination of witnesses, appellate briefing, and settlement negotiation. He is also well-versed in all aspects of state and municipal procurement, including preparing advertisements for bids, bid preparation, and bid protests.
Prior to joining Cohen & Grigsby, Brian was an associate with Jones Day.
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Council Member, Allegheny County Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Founder and Executive Committee Member, American Constitution Society Pittsburgh Lawyer Chapter
- Member, the Greater Pittsburgh Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, Pennsylvania Legal Committee
- Secretary, Young Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- President of the Board, New Hazlett Theater
Brian also maintains his registration as a professional engineer in Pennsylvania.
- Presenter, “Unforeseen Site Conditions Claims Under PennDOT’s Publication 408,” Constructors Association of Western Pennsylvania, March 2018
- Presenter, “Advantages and Pitfalls of Becoming an MBE/WBE/DBE,” C&G Academy, January 2018
- Presenter, “Riffing on the Standards: Understanding and Revising the Standard Construction Contracts,” C&G Academy, June 2015
- Chapter Co-Author, “Unforeseen Site Conditions,” Maryland Construction Law Deskbook, Maryland State Bar Association, January 2012