- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1983
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 1980
A skilled litigator with more than 30 years of trial experience and a strong track record of successes for his clients, Tony has concentrated his practice in counseling and representing companies, organizations and individuals in unfair business practice and competition disputes, including product disparagement and defamation, tortious interference with contract, and unfair business practices under state and federal law.
A consummate advocate, in and out of the courtroom, Tony has earned a well-deserved reputation for credibility with judges, co-counsel and opposing counsel. He prides himself on his immersive approach to client matters, actively leading trial teams and guiding clients through the complexities of litigation so they can make fully informed decisions at every critical stage.
Among his notable recent trial work, Tony was lead counsel for a global manufacturer of steel framing products in an action against several of its competitors and their trade association for product disparagement and defamation, securing a $49.5 million jury verdict after a trial that lasted nearly three months. On behalf of a heart surgeon, he obtained a $3.5 million jury verdict after a two-week trial on a tortious interference claim against a local hospital and its president.
While he handles every matter with an eye toward trial, Tony works with clients to explore strategic options, often obtaining favorable outcomes without the expense of trial. His record of trial wins and well-deserved reputation with parties, judges and adversaries contributes to Tony’s success on behalf of clients at the settlement table. Tony recently secured a settlement for an executive whose employment was wrongly terminated; a settlement for a company on a claim against a competitor for misappropriation of work product, disparagement and defamation; a settlement on the eve of trial of a breach of fiduciary duty claim on behalf of an investment banking firm against former officers of the firm; and a settlement after opening statements in a jury trial for a specialty contractor who was wrongly denied payment by a project owner and a project manager for services performed on an environmental remediation project.
While Tony has concentrated his practice in the area of unfair business practices, he also represents clients in other commercial disputes.
- Won a verdict of nearly $50 million in damages after a two-and-a-half month jury trial, representing as lead trial counsel Clark Western Dietrich Building Systems, LLC, a global manufacturer of steel framing products in an action against several of its competitors and their trade association for product disparagement and defamation in violation of the Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act. The verdict was later upheld on appeal.
- Obtained a $3.5 million jury verdict after a two-week trial, representing as lead trial counsel a heart surgeon on a tortious interference with contract claim against a local hospital.
- Represented an investment-banking firm in a breach of fiduciary duty claim against former officers of the firm, obtaining a settlement on the eve of trial.
- Secured a settlement for a specialty contractor after the delivery of opening statements in a jury trial on a breach of contract claim for the refusal of a project owner and project manager to pay for services performed during an environmental cleanup project.
- Obtained a settlement for a group of cardiologists before a scheduled trial of an antitrust action against a hospital and competing cardiologists.
- Represented as co-counsel the developer of an independent electric power facility in an antitrust action against an electric utility that resulted in a settlement of $44 million — the largest buyout of an independent power project in Pennsylvania history.
- Represented a local district attorney in a high profile indemnity claim against the county in which he served.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers of America for Administrative/Regulatory Law