- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., magna cum laude, Valparaiso University Law, 1996
- B.A., Valparaiso University, 1993
Anne has devoted more than two decades to representing employers with respect to employment law, benefit and regulatory compliance issues, including Title VII, FMLA, ERISA, PPACA (health care reform), HIPAA and COBRA. She is a Director in the Labor & Employment and Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Groups.
Anne focuses her practice on matters that involve Title VII, FMLA, ADA, ERISA, PPACA, HIPAA, COBRA and employee benefit plans.
The scope of her representation has included:
- Dynamic and interactive training presentations related to sensitivity in the workplace, hiring and firing, meaningful instruction for both management and front-line supervisory personnel, discipline and a variety of benefits issues
- Speaker routinely educating H.R. teams and other attorneys at local and national events
- Frequent defense of clients before the EEOC, PHRC and similar agencies
- Analysis of FMLA leave issues, including suspected abuse, intermittent leave concerns and exhaustion of leave queries
- Review of ADA accommodation needs and interactive process steps
- Day-to-day counseling for business owners and H.R. teams seeking to minimize risk while achieving necessary business objectives
- Preparing employers for benefit package reconstruction under PPACA and other related laws, as well as DOL audits
- Crafting HIPAA privacy and security policies updated to reflect HITECH requirements
Anne enjoys the opportunity to engage and educate employers, leadership and other attorneys on a wide range of employment and benefit topics. In addition to routine sensitivity and compliance training for clients, her representative presentations include:
- Presenter, “Paid Leave, LGBT Protections and Employee Handbooks,” Compliance During the Trump Administration Seminar, October 2017
- Presenter, “Drugs in the Workplace,” Innovation Pittsburgh Seminar hosted by Jim Roddey, Pittsburgh, PA, August 2017
- Presenter, “Which Employment Cards Will Be Trumped,” ADP, Pittsburgh, PA, April, 2017
- Presenter, “Employment in Real Life,” AmeriSolve Seminars, Pittsburgh, Somerset & Johnstown, PA, March and April, 2017
- Presenter, “HIPAA,” Continuing Legal Education, Pittsburgh, PA, March 2017
- Presenter, “Employment in Real Life,” PAHRA Capitol Conference, Harrisburg, PA, January 2017
- Presenter, “FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Compensation Hypotheticals,” ADP, Pittsburgh, PA, January 2017
- Presenter, “Ethics in Employment Law,” Rutgers Center for Government Services, Division of Continuing Studies, Orlando, FL, January 2017
- Presenter, “Independent Contractor v. Employee,” PALI Conference, Hersey, PA, September 2016
- Presenter, “Labor Update: Independent Contractors and the Affordable Care Act,” Cohen & Grigsby, Pittsburgh, PA, August 2016
- Presenter, “Health Care Reform: the Time is Now,” National Business Institute, Morgantown, WV, April 2016
- Presenter, “DOL Audits,” Simpson & McCrady Annual Seminar, Pittsburgh, PA, April 2016
- Presenter, “Health Care Reform,” ADP, Pittsburgh, PA, February 2016
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update,” Sterling Education, Pittsburgh, PA, February 2016
- Presenter, “Health Care Reform: Navigating New Rules and Ensuring Compliance,” Government Financial Officers, Pittsburgh, PA, September 2015
- Presenter, “Ethics in Employment Law,” Rutgers Center for Government Services, Division of Continuing Studies, San Francisco, CA, May 2015
- Presenter, “Benefits Compliance,” Simpson & McCrady, Pittsburgh, PA, April 2015
- Presenter, “FMLA: An Ounce of Prevention,” Vistage, Pittsburgh, PA, April 2015
- Presenter, “Affordable Care Act Update,” Fringe Benefit Services, Sharon, PA, March 2015
- Presenter, “Affordable Care Act: A, B, C and Ds,” National Business Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, February 2015
- Presenter, “ACA Overview,” Vistage, Pittsburgh, PA, February 2015
- Presenter, “Focus: Small Employers and Health Care Reform,” Forbes Fund, Pittsburgh, PA, September 2014
- Presenter, “Health Care Reform: What’s New and Where is the Moving Target Headed?” Multiple Small Brokers in Western PA, May-August 2014
- Presenter, “Avoid Employment Pitfalls – Hiring and Firing,” PAHRA Legislative Conference, February 2014
- Presenter, “ACA Developments for Small Entities,” Forbes Fund, January 2014
- Presenter, “Health Care Reform: the Time is Now,” Multiple Large Brokers, Pittsburgh and Surrounding Counties, PA, August-September 2013
- Panel Member, “Health Care Reform: Stay Informed and Compliant,” Pittsburgh Subway Series, Fall 2012
- Presenter, Continuing Legal Education on Health Care Reform, October 2010
- Presenter, HIPAA Seminars for Health Care and Related Entities, Naples, FL, 2009 and 2010
Anne has also given presentations to the Western Pennsylvania Personnel Association, the Johnstown Business Council, the Leadership Healthcare Conference, the Industry for Workers’ Compensation Reform and the Western Pennsylvania Claims Association.
Her speech topics have included Title VII, Sensitivity, Management Counseling, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, HIPAA, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Representative publications authored by Anne include:
- Author, “Is Your Independent Contractor an Employee in Disguise? New U.S. Department of Labor Guidance Casts Doubt on Independent Contractor Status,” PAHRA Monitor, Winter 2015-2016.
- Author, “Five Costly Mistakes to Avoid With the PPACA,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 11, 2013
- Author, “Working the Web Wisely – A Social Networking Safety Net,” Labor & Employment, 2010
- Author, “The New Reality of Retaliation Claims,” Pittsburgh Business Times, 2007
- Author, “Gaps in the HIPAA Chinese Wall,” Trustee, 2006
- Author, “Should Your Company Care about the HIPAA Privacy Rule,” Pennsylvania Health Care Association Weekly Reporter
Articles that Anne has co-written have appeared in Assisted Living Success, the Health Law Digest Analysis, Pittsburgh Hospital News and the Keystone-Pennsylvania Chapter of the American College of Health Care Administrators.
She has served as a source of information for many articles that have been published in Laboratory Compliance Insider and the OSHA Compliance Insider for Health Care Facilities.