Alexis A. LeventhalAssociate
Alexis is an Associate in the Business Transaction Services Group, where she focuses on a wide range of commercial transactions and bankruptcy matters.
Prior to joining Cohen & Grigsby, Alexis clerked at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania for Judge Carlota M. Böhm and, prior to that, as a law clerk at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida. While clerking in the Middle District of Florida, Alexis also worked as an adjunct professor teaching Bankruptcy Law at Florida A&M University College of Law in Orlando, Florida.
Before attending law school, Alexis taught special education to elementary and middle school students with Teach for America in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Executive Council Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Chair, Outreach Committee, The Judith K. Fitzgerald Western Pennsylvania Bankruptcy American Inn of Court
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Guest Lecturer, University of Pittsburgh Law School, providing introduction to bankruptcy law and lectured on security interests in stocks, bonds, and other investment property to law students, October 2016-October 2017
- Guest Lecturer, Barry University Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law, on fraudulent transfers and nondischargeability actions in bankruptcy cases to law students, Orlando, FL, November 2014 and 2015
- Panelist, discussing the Supreme Court’s decision of Bank of America, N.A. v. Caulkett, 135 S.Ct. 1995 (2015) before members of the Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, Orlando, FL, November, 2015
- Author, “Employed, but not an Employee: the Applicability of Florida’s Head of Household Exemption,” 91 FLA. B.J. 4, 19-21, April 2017
- Author, “Third Circuit Review,” No. 2 Norton Bankr. L. Adviser NL 3, 2017
- Author, “Small Business Deadlines: Expiration, Extension, and Consequence,” ABI Journal, Vol. XXXVI, No. 3, March 2017
- Author, “Administrative Insolvency as a Basis for Fee Disgorgement Pursuant to 11 U.S.C.A. §726(b),” No. 9 Norton Bankr. L. Adviser NL 1, 2016
- Author, “Competing Efficiencies: The Problem of Whether and When to Refer Disputes to Arbitration in Bankruptcy Cases,” 24 Am. Bankr. Inst. L. Rev. 133, 2016
- Author, “Good-bye Tension, Hello Pension: Right to 401(k) Voluntary Contributions vs. Obligation to Repay Dilemma in Chapter 7 Cases,” ABI Consumer Bankruptcy Committee Newsletter, August 2014
- Author, “Preserving Miami: An Evaluation of Miami’s Transferable Development Rights Program,” 24.2 U. FLA. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 271, 2014