In securities litigation, the stakes usually are high, the scrutiny intense. Success in this highly specialized field requires comprehensive and deep experience. Cohen & Grigsby’s Securities Litigation Group offers exactly those strengths when representing clients in securities litigation.
Our attorneys have defended a wide variety of cases for issuers and underwriters of publicly traded securities, brokerage firms, financial institutions and accounting firms. We have defended accountants, directors, officers, financial institutions and public corporations – those often targeted by class action lawsuits and derivative lawsuits in federal and state courts.
Our Securities Litigation Group has defended claims in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, Utah, California and other jurisdictions.
Our experience spans the entire field of securities and corporate finance litigation, including:
- Claims against issuers, underwriters and accounting firms involving the purchase and sale of securities pursuant to registration statements and prospectuses, including the defense of class action and derivative lawsuits
- Claims, including those brought in state or federal court or in arbitration, against broker-dealers by customers alleging violations of securities laws, unauthorized trading and other misconduct
- Claims against broker-dealers and registered representatives by the securities industry’s self-regulatory organizations (CBOE, NASD and NYSE) involving proposed disciplinary action for alleged violations of applicable rules
- Claims against corporations by shareholders, including former high ranking management employees, concerning the parties’ respective buy-sell obligations
- Claims against accounting firms alleging professional negligence in the auditing of financial statements and the performance of other accounting services
- Claims against financial institutions alleging violations of consumer protection laws and similar laws arising from the institution’s banking practices
- Claims alleging violations of federal and state securities laws and alleged Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) violations
- Representation of financial intermediaries which have acted as financing sources for mergers and acquisitions
- Representation of officers, directors and others in Securities and Exchange Commission investigations
A Record of Success in Major Cases
We have significant experience trying both jury and non-jury cases in securities litigation and have successfully defended several major cases, including:
- Successfully defended an international accounting firm in a $30 million securities class action suit brought against the accounting firm and its client. The case, McEwen v. Digitran Systems, Inc., et al., was cited by The National Law Journal as one of the biggest defense wins in civil jury trials in the U.S. for 1996.
- Successfully defended a $2.1 billion professional negligence suit brought by its client in a lengthy bench trial in state court in Maryland
- Successfully defended a $95 million professional negligence suit brought by its client in a bench trial in state court in Michigan
- Successfully defended a multimillion dollar suit brought by the bankruptcy trustee in federal court in Philadelphia. The case was settled following bench trial.
- Successfully defending a class of underwriters in a Section 11 claim involving allegations of material misrepresentations contained in a multimillion dollar prospectus offering